Re: [Hampshire] How to force X to init only on Screen 1

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How to force X to init only on Screen 1
2009/1/22 Stephen Davies <stephen.davies@???>:
> The only issue I have is starting X.
> The hardware under the skin is straight out of a laptop and lspci
> detects TWO displays.
> Naturally, when X starts, it defaults to screen 0 which would be the
> laptop screen except that there is no
> screen. Thus, I can't see X at all.

Looks like you might be suffering from this bug:-

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/233787

The following link has a suggestion.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/233787/comments/34

Looks like it's been fixed in an update.

If it were mine and I was installing Ubuntu (which I appreciate you
might not be doing) is do a netinst.

Using the netinst ISO to get a text based install screen I would do
the full install and this would include all updates that have been
released since the original CD was pressed.

You can find the netinst ISO guide here:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

(just found the site a bit slow at the moment, so here's the direct
link to the iso)

8.10 32-bit
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/mini.iso
8.04 32-bit