Re: [Hampshire] Does anyone 'know someone' at Demon?

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Does anyone 'know someone' at Demon?
Vic <lug@???> wrote:
> The trouble is that the line is no longer a BT
> line - it's provided by one of these
> reseller-type companies. So although it is BT
> that will (eventually) fix the fault, BT won't
> talk to me directly.

Sounds like you need to be speaking to BT
Openreach - who probably won't talk to you either.

I think Openreach still have "Matters Beyond Our
Reasonable Control" declarations in force in some
areas, which may affect your customer. Have a look
at Enta's copy & paste:
http://noc.enta.net/2009/02/bt-openreach-mborc-declaration/

> Demon have outsourced their "technical support",
> and they won't escalate to BT until I've run
> this speed tester thingie three times. That's a
> Java applet that took me 45 minutes to download,
> and you have to wait 3 hours between runs :-(

Ah, safety in procedures.

> Quote of the day had to be "SNR is set at the
> exchange and we are not allowed to change it".
> He didn't see a problem with 6dB, and his boss
> then incorrectly noted it as 60dB and didn't
> think that at all odd.

:-(

I do have some sympathy for the tech support
people - they get very little training, and have
to listen to a large number of lusers ranting at
them all day. When someone with clue phones up, it
must be difficult to switch out of defensive mode.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.