Re: [Hampshire] thoughts and feedback please on our new prod…

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] thoughts and feedback please on our new product, the Liberatus server
On Friday 13 February 2009 16:09:46 Alan Bell wrote:
> Victor Churchill wrote:
> > 2009/2/13 Alan Bell <alan.bell@???>:
> >> We are trying out a new business idea, pre-configured server appliances
> >> bundled with services (setup and a bit of training)
> >> I would like a bit of feedback on our website pages about them.
> >>
> >> http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com/liberatus.html
> >>
> >> We are going to set up a store for online purchases fairly soon, but
> >> initially we are targeting schools that we contacted at the BETT
> >> tradeshow with our opening model, a Moodle based server called the
> >> Liberatus Erudito.
> >
> > I hate to sound picky, but you did ask ;-)
>
> we did, picky is good!

I hope you really meant that. I have been avoiding saying anything, because I
feared that you didn't - so read no further if you didn't really, really mean
it!

> we didn't want to include other people's trademarks in our model names
> (i.e. no Liberatus Moodle) so we picked Latin words to designate the
> general subject area.

I'm afraid I found that it jarred horribly. It isn't really Latin in that the
words simply don't go together and don't make sense. They are more or less
random words put next to each other. Most of them don't even agree in case
and gender, let alone in anything else. I actually found that I couldn't
read the whole list, because it was too difficult not to try and make sense
of it - and it doesn't make sense.

I agree that the assumption that your clients won't know any Latin is probably
not far wrong nowadays. But the odd potential client (odd in both senses of
the word ;-) ) may know some Latin, and it is a shame to put anyone off,
surely?

I feel bound to point out that my grandaughter thinks it is really cool and
really likes it. But as I said to her, she doesn't know any Latin! And
neither of us, of course, is likely to spend over £1000.00 on a server in the
near future. ;-)

Lisi