Re: [Hampshire] iPod + Linux

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] iPod + Linux
2009/9/14 Sean Gibbins <sean@???>:
> Since we're almost entirely an Ubuntu shop here, I was wondering what
> the best options are for using them with the same?

We have a handy bot in the UK IRC channel:-

08:51:44 < popey> !iphone
08:51:44 < ubot4> For information on how to sync and add tracks to
your iPod, see the guide at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IPodHowto - For the iPhone and the
iPod Touch, see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPhone - See
!RockBox for information on liberating your iPod

:)

> A quick google before I wrote this didn't turn up anything that was
> instantly inspiring, so I am wondering what folks here use, and what
> limitations there are, if any?

Plenty. Apple have made sure it's not exactly straightforward,
especially for the very latest generation devices such as the iPhone
and iPod Touch. I have had success in a "plug and play" kind of way
with the 30G iPod video and 4G iPod nano using Banshee. It will
transcode any audio to a format that the devices can play as you
drag/drop onto them.

I have also tried the VirtualBox method of running iTunes under
Windows via emulation, but iTunes is quite a hog, and the USB support
can be a little hit and miss. The pages above cover all that though. I
now sync mine exclusively on the Mac using iTunes, and it works so
well I'm not about to switch back.

One thing you'll miss with all the linux apps (i.e. non-iTunes) is the
inability to add software from the PC (specifically on the Touch) and
do firmware updates.

Cheers,
Al.