Re: [Hampshire] iPod + Linux

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] iPod + Linux
Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/9/14 Sean Gibbins <sean@???>:
>
>> Since we're almost entirely an Ubuntu shop here, I was wondering what
>> the best options are for using them with the same?
>>

> We have a handy bot in the UK IRC channel:-
>
> 08:51:44 < popey> !iphone
> 08:51:44 < ubot4> For information on how to sync and add tracks to
> your iPod, see the guide at
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IPodHowto - For the iPhone and the
> iPod Touch, see
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPhone - See
> !RockBox for information on liberating your iPod
>
> :)

Fantastic Al, just what I needed. I will investigate later.

>> A quick google before I wrote this didn't turn up anything that was
>> instantly inspiring, so I am wondering what folks here use, and what
>> limitations there are, if any?
>>

> Plenty. Apple have made sure it's not exactly straightforward,
> especially for the very latest generation devices such as the iPhone
> and iPod Touch. I have had success in a "plug and play" kind of way
> with the 30G iPod video and 4G iPod nano using Banshee. It will
> transcode any audio to a format that the devices can play as you
> drag/drop onto them.
>
> I have also tried the VirtualBox method of running iTunes under
> Windows via emulation, but iTunes is quite a hog, and the USB support
> can be a little hit and miss. The pages above cover all that though. I
> now sync mine exclusively on the Mac using iTunes, and it works so
> well I'm not about to switch back.

My rather generous friend is an Ubuntu user, but has a Mac Mini plus a
Mac network storage solution (I forget the name of it) which he uses for
his music. He showed me his setup last night and it was pretty
impressive; all of his CDs are ripped to the Apple lossless format and
he can load them up with either his iPod or the Mac Mini (via the
cinema-sized telly) - very nice - but all /way/ beyond my means.

> One thing you'll miss with all the linux apps (i.e. non-iTunes) is the
> inability to add software from the PC (specifically on the Touch) and
> do firmware updates.

Is it possible to run iTunes on Windows purely for this purpose, or is
it a one-to-one relationship once it is synchronised to a particular
machine?

If not I doubt very much the twins will want to do much beyond load up
music and listen to it, so additional software and updates may not be an
issue for them.

Me, I am sticking to my iAudio X5 60GB running RockBox! Before that I
had a Creative Zen (the first of the 'brick' designs that came out at
the same time as the first iPod, IIRC), and this hopefully explains my
almost total ignorance of Apple products!

Cheers,

Sean

--
www.funkygibbins.me.uk