[Hampshire] 32- or 64-bit distro?

Top Page
Author: Chris Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] 32- or 64-bit distro?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57583100.hantslug.org.uk.24137': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue May 4 11:06:34 2010 BST
gpg: using DSA key 11BEF6408586B4B2
Hi all,

I've just received a new work laptop (Lenovo T400) on which I am about
to install the new Ubuntu 10.04. This is the first machine I've had
which is 64-bit capable, so I'm not up to speed on the current state of
64-bit distros. I'm trying to decide whether I should install the 32-
or 64-bit version.

What is the current thinking on the relative merits for a laptop
machine? The laptop will be used for the usual office stuff (Writer,
Calc, email and web) and software/hardware development -- no heavy
number crunching.

Are there any known problems or difficulties with 64-bit distros? (Last
I heard, things like Flash were a problem?)

What about running 32-bit guests in a 64-bit VirtualBox host, is that
going to cause issues?

Thanks for any advice,
Chris
--