Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Networking course

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Networking course
On Sunday 19 June 2011 12:15:23 Rob Malpass wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a (preferred) distance learning course on networking /
> telecomms? I simply can't find anything at the OU that fits the bill - if
> anyone knows a good one please let me know.

http://www.ftacademy.org/courses/modules/3

I don't know how good it is, but I suspect that the admin may be adequate
rather than brilliant. I have done the basic Linux course and it was really
hard work! (I mean that as a definite complement!)

I did a level one ten point Linux course with the OU and was bitterly
disappointed. Not only was the admin rather a shambles, but the standard of
the course was abysmal and the teaching was non-existent.

The Linux course at the FTA was really stretching. It is meant to be
post-graduate and I reckon that it was - anyhow as just a step up course to
let you do the advanced Linux. The other students were all way ahead of me -
and everyone struggled sometimes.

I don't know how rigidly they enforce the post-graduate bit.

I'll ask on the student portal for some feed-back on the network course if you
would like me to. I know that at least two of those on my course had done it
already.

The text books are all open source, so are readily available. But the actual
courses are at a higher level. The course text book is just the jumping-off
platform!

Lisi