[Hampshire] [OT] Networking course

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Networking course
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a (preferred) distance learning course on networking /
telecomms? I simply can't find anything at the OU that fits the bill - if
anyone knows a good one please let me know. Please excuse the rather wooly
question but allow me to explain...

I'm not enjoying my Computing degree much at the moment - too much object
oriented programming. Recently however I've become a bit more interested
in networks and possibly even telecomms. Everything I know about
networking I've taught myself through largely trial, error and a lot of
googling. I know a bit - but not enough to configure an ipcop firewall
with any certainty I've got it right. Now, with a bit of time on my hands
for once, I'd like to study networking properly. I'm loathe to just buy a
book and read it (unless someone can suggest something really good).

Obviously for playing / testing I'd like to use Linux so can anyone
recommend something. The only references I have are "Hacking Exposed" and
"Firewalls for Dummies" but I'm not really "enjoying" using that - perhaps
I'm beyond Dummy!

Cheers

Rob