Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Networking course

Author: Ian Grody
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Networking course
Hey Rob,

On Sunday 19 June 2011 12:15:23 Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>

> Can anyone recommend a (preferred) distance learning course on networking /
> telecomms? I simply can't find anything at the OU that fits the bill - if
> anyone knows a good one please let me know. Please excuse the rather
> wooly question but allow me to explain...

The OpenUniversity do offer CCNA and like courses (Cisco network certification).
If that doesn't fit the bill, try http://www.openstudycollege.com - Look for
CompTIA courses, Networking+ etc. Not cheap, usually, but damned good courses.

> I'm not enjoying my Computing degree much at the moment - too much object
> oriented programming. Recently however I've become a bit more interested
> in networks and possibly even telecomms. Everything I know about
> networking I've taught myself through largely trial, error and a lot of
> googling. I know a bit - but not enough to configure an ipcop firewall
> with any certainty I've got it right. Now, with a bit of time on my hands
> for once, I'd like to study networking properly. I'm loathe to just buy a
> book and read it (unless someone can suggest something really good).

Two good books I enjoyed were Kevin Mitnick - William L. Simon, Art of
Intrusion & Art of Deception - Which more teaches of the social element of
computer/network (in)security. O'reilly do some good reads too, TCP/IP Network
administration 3rd edition, Network Security Assessment and Network Security
Hacks 2nd Edition. Getting books to learn up on IPv6 might be of benefit,
especially if this new IP is going to be seen and heard more of in upcoming
years.

> Obviously for playing / testing I'd like to use Linux so can anyone
> recommend something. The only references I have are "Hacking Exposed" and
> "Firewalls for Dummies" but I'm not really "enjoying" using that - perhaps
> I'm beyond Dummy!

BSD are excellent systems if you want to gear at networking. Linux is too, for
some, but I find the raw networking abilities of BSD systems far superior to
linux. OpenBSD is as raw as you get, FreeBSD is the simplest of them. NetBSD
is more for the funky architects.

> Cheers
>
> Rob

G'luck,