Re: [Hampshire] New member... Hoping to come to Saturday LUG…

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] New member... Hoping to come to Saturday LUG Meeting.
On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 15:34:37 +0000
Ian Grody <lug@???> wrote:

> I'm from Winchester myself, used Linux & BSD for gone 12/13 years now
> just simply because I like to be in control of the little things.
> Plus I was a cheapskate student at the time. The systems have grown
> on me and use multiple Linux/BSD variants everyday. My favourite
> Linux would have to be Debian, with Gentoo for more customised setups
> and servers. FreeBSD is my poison in the BSD line. I'm a networking
> geek more than anything & hope to be able to share ideas and
> knowledge.

a few years back HantsLug was full of Debian Users but many deserted
the "one true way" when Ubuntu came along. I listen with amusement at
all the wails of anguish when ubuntu gets it wrong such as upgrading
problems or the unity desktop.

Debian isn't perfect and changing to Gnome 3 is IMHO a bad choice but
XFCE allows me to set up the desktop the way I want and not how some
geeky developer thinks it should be. Not all of us are tablet/touch
screen users!!

With luck the Mint modifications to Gnome 3 will filter back into
Debian. I have run the Mint Debian Edition 'live' on my spare system
and it looks quite good. It installed OK but seems reluctant to
'aptitude safe-upgrade' the 488 packages needing an upgrade plus the
50 new packages it thinks I need ;-)

You will find a few Gentoo users in HantsLUG and possibly the odd BSD
user as well

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid