Re: [Hampshire] The Cookie Law

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The Cookie Law
On 26/05/12 09:49, john lewis wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2012 11:22:40 +0100
> Tony Whitmore <tony@???> wrote:
>
>> A brief check of my personal website shows 7 cookies are being set as
>> a result of using Wordpress and Google Analytics. Accordingly it
>> seems I should be advising users of these cookies, giving them a
>> chance to consent and change their mind.
>
> Is this something you decided to do or does the software you use do it
> by default?

Well, I choose to use Wordpress and Google Analytics and is seems that
their default behaviour is to use cookies. I could of course use static
HTML pages and log analysis and not create any cookies for users, but
would lose a lot of functionality!

I don't think that Wordpress' cookies are particularly intrusive, they
are used to detect if someone has logged into a session - which no-one
other than me does on my sites. Google Analytics is more intrusive as it
tracks more detailed web use and reports it to Google.

Tony

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???