Re: [Hampshire] The Cookie Law

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The Cookie Law
On Sun, 27 May 2012 12:02:44 +0100
Tony Whitmore <tony@???> wrote:

> On 26/05/12 09:49, john lewis wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 May 2012 11:22:40 +0100
> > Tony Whitmore <tony@???> wrote:
> >
> >> A brief check of my personal website shows 7 cookies are being set
> >> as a result of using Wordpress and Google Analytics. Accordingly it
> >> seems I should be advising users of these cookies, giving them a
> >> chance to consent and change their mind.
> >
> > Is this something you decided to do or does the software you use do
> > it by default?
>
> Well, I choose to use Wordpress and Google Analytics and is seems that
> their default behaviour is to use cookies. I could of course use
> static HTML pages and log analysis and not create any cookies for
> users, but would lose a lot of functionality!
>
> I don't think that Wordpress' cookies are particularly intrusive, they
> are used to detect if someone has logged into a session - which no-one
> other than me does on my sites. Google Analytics is more intrusive as
> it tracks more detailed web use and reports it to Google.

Thanks Tony.

It seems likely that a lot of software will be setting up cookies by
default and many users will not be aware this is happening. So this is
another downside to the cookie law.

FWIW I have added this to the opening page of my website

> EU Cookie Law

> This website is not setup to use cookies but you should be aware that
> several of the sites you can link to from the "Links" page do use
> cookies

in the hope this will stop me running foul of this law.

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???