[Hampshire] WOL on an AOpen AK77-8X Max motherboard

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] WOL on an AOpen AK77-8X Max motherboard

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5719e100.hantslug.org.uk.2997': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Nov 30 21:16:32 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
Evening,

I've been trying to get my AOpen AK77-8X Max motherboard to respond to
Wake-on-LAN packets. I'm using the onboard Realtek NIC, which sends the
wake up signal over the PCI bus, rather than the standard WOL cable.

I think I've configured the BIOS settings correctly. WOL and WOP [1]
(Wake-on-PCI) are enabled, and I've configured the PCI settings to
monitor all IRQs. The switch LED shows the link is established when the
box is powered off or in suspend.

I've tried using both the "etherwake" and "wakeonlan" tools. I have
verified that the packet is leaving the sending machine (my laptop) and
arriving at the desktop machine (with the AOpen motherboard) using
Wireshark. I've found a newsgroup posting that advises to use all
capitals in the MAC address, although there's only one non-numeric
character in the MAC address so I've been trying with both lower and
upper case.

The upshot is that I can't get the box to wake from either shutdown or
suspend. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Tony

[1] http://club.aopen.com.tw/news/News_ShowAnswer.aspx?RecNo=7560