Re: [Hampshire] WOL on an AOpen AK77-8X Max motherboard

Author: Brian Chivers
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] WOL on an AOpen AK77-8X Max motherboard
Tony Whitmore wrote:
> Evening,
>
> I've been trying to get my AOpen AK77-8X Max motherboard to respond to
> Wake-on-LAN packets. I'm using the onboard Realtek NIC, which sends the
> wake up signal over the PCI bus, rather than the standard WOL cable.
>
> I think I've configured the BIOS settings correctly. WOL and WOP [1]
> (Wake-on-PCI) are enabled, and I've configured the PCI settings to
> monitor all IRQs. The switch LED shows the link is established when the
> box is powered off or in suspend.
>
> I've tried using both the "etherwake" and "wakeonlan" tools. I have
> verified that the packet is leaving the sending machine (my laptop) and
> arriving at the desktop machine (with the AOpen motherboard) using
> Wireshark. I've found a newsgroup posting that advises to use all
> capitals in the MAC address, although there's only one non-numeric
> character in the MAC address so I've been trying with both lower and
> upper case.
>
> The upshot is that I can't get the box to wake from either shutdown or
> suspend. Does anyone have any advice?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony
>
> [1] http://club.aopen.com.tw/news/News_ShowAnswer.aspx?RecNo=7560

I remember that I had to alter something in the config of the Fedora
box's I used to use WOL on but the trouble I can't remember what it was
and I've no longer got the box's to have a look at. I have a distant
memory that I googled for it and it was something to do with enabling
suspend in the Fedora config.

This might help

http://ahh.sourceforge.net/wol/faq.html

Sorry that I can't be of more help but it might give you a start :-)

Brian

                the views of Portsmouth College