Re: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 19:08:20 +0000
luis <luis.castilla@???> wrote:

> Thank you for all your replies and comments to my original mail.
> First of all I would like to apologize if I have in any way offended
> anyone in the Linux user group , it was not my intention.

I am sure you didn't really upset anyone

> I have read some of the replies and I must admit I was rather upset
> with some of the comments, after all I am entitled to my opinion.
> But obviously some users felt somehow offended, again sorry for
> this.

Most of the regular contributors to this list are well aware that it
is more difficult to say things in an email than it is face to face.

It is much easier to get the feel of a conversation when you can
see facial expressions, hear tone of voice etc.

So be aware that it is very unlikely anyone set out to deliberately
upset you, and there have been several more conciliatory emails to
offset the perhaps harsher ones.

It might be true to say a thick skin is a necessary requirement for
joining a mailing list like this where strong feelings/opinions
abound.

> I am very new to Linux and perhaps my frustrations were vented in
> the wrong way. I have just bought a marvellous book called Linux
> Bible, hopefully this will keep going for some time.

I used to have a copy myself when I was learning and found it very
useful, so start enjoying the Linux experience.

> P.D I am certainly a coffee man

Me too , I haven't drunk the abomination called tea for many years.
I was cured of any liking I may once have had for it whilst serving in
the RAF, cookhouse tea was truly an appalling beverage.- even if it
didn't contain the sex-urge depressant chemicals rumour alleged it
contained.

I do have to admit that when offered a drink from a dirty bottle that
one of our labourers had carried around in his pack all day whilst we
were fighting a heath fire on a bombing range in Northern Germany,
the liquid it contained tasted like nectar despite being a strong
black brew of tea that I'd have considered un-drinkable in normal
circumstances. :-)

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application