Re: [Hampshire] Tories want open source Whitehall

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Tories want open source Whitehall
On Thursday 08 Mar 2007 22:05, Daniel Pope wrote:
> Notice that they don't cite the freedom of information and transparency
> which has been a driving force for government migration to open-source in
> other countries.

There was quite a long item about this on Working Lunch today on BBC 2. The
initial "write" up was quite good. Then there was studio discussion between
2 people. The interviewee solemnly said that, I think it was Bristol, hadn't
really gone over to Open Source, because they were using Star Office, which
was Open Office with value added by Sun Microsystems (at least he got the
company right!), so it had to be paid for, so it wasn't free. (He obviously
hadn't heard of or didn't rate free speech. :-( )

But all in all it was a good item. The info bit seemed quite pro. I didn't
hear the beginning, however.

Lisi