Re: [Hampshire] The Slug has landed...

Author: Adam Cripps
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The Slug has landed...
On 8/11/07, Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:

> Or at least my slug has been delivered!
>
> So a couple of questions for you happy slug owners:
>
> I've had a quick hunt through the previous links posted here and I assume
> this is the best procedure to follow to Debianise it:
>
> http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html
>
> If there is a better set of instructions to use please let me know.
>
> Any gotchas I should know about?
>
> I notice reading through the quick start instructions that it says a disk
> must be formated to use with the device and that it isn't compatible with
> use on a windows machine.
>
> Out of curiosity is this simply because it used Ext3 (or some other Linux
> file system) and so would work with Windows fine if you had the Windows
> drivers for the filesystem installed or does the slug natively use
> some sort of proprietary file system?
>
> Also assuming I go for the Debian install on a HD connected to one of the
> USB ports, once installed is there anything stopping me from connecting a
> USB hub to the second USB port so I can connect several more peripherals?

I installed mine this time last weekend - the main gotcha I
experienced, which may be specific to my network, was a
initramfs-tools package failure during the base install.

I checked the mailing lists and it was a weird glitch with DNS - so
instead of using the default 192.168.1.1 (my router) I switched the
DNS during install (just opened up a shell and edited
/etc/resolv.conf) to my ISP's DNS servers.

After that, it just sailed through that package.
HTH
Adam
--
http://www.monkeez.org