Re: [Hampshire] The Slug has landed...

Author: Alex Phillips
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The Slug has landed...
On 8/11/07, Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:
>I notice reading through the quick start instructions that it says a disk
>must be formated to use with the device and that it isn't compatible with
>use on a windows machine.
>
>Out of curiosity is this simply because it used Ext3 (or some other Linux
>file system) and so would work with Windows fine if you had the Windows
>drivers for the filesystem installed or does the slug natively use
>some sort of proprietary file system?
>
> Also assuming I go for the Debian install on a HD connected to one of the
> USB ports, once installed is there anything stopping me from connecting a
> USB hub to the second USB port so I can connect several more peripherals?
>

> Andy

The native Slug FS is ext3, or at least is reported as such if you
plug it into a linux machine. I would assume you could use it with
windows, with the appropriate driver.

The only thing to watch with a second HD/USB device is to use
UUID/Labels in your fstab, for root/swap etc, as sda/sdb might get
swapped around.

Once you've got Debian installed, I've read that it will talk to
almost any USB hub that Linux supports, but I've not actually tried
one yet.

Alex.