Re: [Hampshire] Talk videos from August's meeting

Author: Adam Trickett
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Talk videos from August's meeting
> Must say that I also enjoyed the Bash Shell training workshop held by
> Adrian . I have now bought:
>
> Learning the Bash Shell 3rd edition ISBN 0-596-00965-8 and Bash Cookbook
> ISBN -10: 0-596-52678-4 ISBN-13: 978-0-596-52678-8.

I have the older edition of Learning the Bash Shell, it was good and I take it
the newer edition is even better.

I got my Bash Cookbook last week, and so far I've found that to be very
helpful too. This book states clearly that some tasks can be done with Perl,
so they have avoided these tasks: they don't do in Bash what you shouldn't.

I'd also suggest the "Classic Shell Scripting", O'Reilly 0-596-00595-4 which
covers the main Bourne derivatives: Ksh, Bash and Zsh. This book
pathologically avoids Perl to such an extent that there are tasks done in
shell that make my skin cringe as they should be done in Perl (or other
similar).

> Looking forward to the next workshop too and I liked the sound of the IBM
> LPI based teaching material. Does any one know the link to these
> documents?

You can download them all from IBM DeveloperWorks (reg required) or I can
email them to anyone who wants them - quite a few MBs...

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

To send one out of office message may be considered
unfortunate, but to send two looks like cluelessness.
    -- Simon Cozens