Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Track down a user by IP address

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Track down a user by IP address
On 02/10/2007, Tim <xendistar@???> wrote:

> I need some help tracking down a user on our network at work. I know the
> current IP address (when I block it they change it) and I know the PC name,
> but apart from that I have not been able to find out much else.
>
> The reason I want to know who it is, is due to excessive bandwidth useage of
> the internet connection (read 1gb a day). Its a windows network
> unfortunately, I think I know who it is but I need to prove it. A quiet
> warning won't work as he already had a verbal warning.
>
> Anybody with more experience help me track this user down.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim

Look in the ARP table and get the IP to MAC address mapping.
Then simply look in the network switches MAC table per port (I hope
you have a managed switch) and discover which PC is attached to it.
Once you discover which PC it is, simply find out it's MAC address.
"ipconfig /all" for windows, "ifconfig" in Linux to verify that it is
indeed the misbehaving PC.

James