Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Track down a user by IP address

Top Page
Author: David Ramsden
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Track down a user by IP address

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57d48100.hantslug.org.uk.16247': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Oct 2 13:14:13 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key B15F69BD3454B217
Tim wrote:
> I need some help tracking down a user on our network at work. I know the
> current IP address (when I block it they change it) and I know the PC name,
> but apart from that I have not been able to find out much else.
>
> The reason I want to know who it is, is due to excessive bandwidth useage of
> the internet connection (read 1gb a day). Its a windows network
> unfortunately, I think I know who it is but I need to prove it. A quiet
> warning won't work as he already had a verbal warning.

Go to the server that their home directory should be located on (or any
other share they'll be accessing), right click "My Computer". Go to
"Manage". Expand "Shared Folders". Click on either "Open Files" or
"Sessions". Then you should be able to match up the user to the computer.

Or as someone else has suggested, if you've got a managed switch:

1) Ping their IP address.
2) Look at your computers ARP table (Windows use "arp -a")
3) Go on to your managed switch/switches and find which port the PC is
connected to.
4) Trace the cabling to the wall port.

Regards,
David.