Re: [Hampshire] Perl warning

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Perl warning
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 12:05:20 +0100
Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 11:56:59AM +0100, John Lewis wrote:
> > Why do I need to have a US locale on my system?
> >
> > perl: warning: Setting locale failed
> > Per: warning: Please check your locale settings:
> >     LANGUAGE = (unset),
> >     LC_ALL = (unset),
> >     Lang = "en_US.UTF-8"
> > are supported and installed on your system
> > perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C")

>    At a guess, you've still got en_US.UTF-8 set as your default
> charset.  Take a look in /etc/default/locale, and /etc/environment.
> If you change those, you will probably have to restart your X
> session at minimum. You can also change it for a single shell
> session by setting LANG=en_GB.UTF-8.

OK, I have edited /etc/default/locale but there isn't
any /etc/environment to alter.

>    dpkg-reconfigure locales should also ask you which locale you
> want to set as a system-wide default.

It did and I told it to use en_GB.utf-8 (I had used dpkg-reconfigure
locales to remove all the European countries included by default
during installation)

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package