Re: [Hampshire] Perl warning

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Perl warning

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56e2a100.hantslug.org.uk.16559': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Oct 16 12:05:20 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 11:56:59AM +0100, John Lewis wrote:
> Why do I need to have a US locale on my system?
>
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed
> Per: warning: Please check your locale settings:
>     LANGUAGE = (unset),
>     LC_ALL = (unset),
>     Lang = "en_US.UTF-8"
> are supported and installed on your system
> perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C")

> I live and work in the UK and have no intention whatsoever of going
> to the USA and so removed all locales except en_GB.UTF-8 , so why
> doesn't perl accept this.
>
> Adam, you are the perl guru, can you please fix this. It is time we
> got away from this sort of US influence in software. At least we
> now longer have to accept letter size as the default for printing.

At a guess, you've still got en_US.UTF-8 set as your default
charset. Take a look in /etc/default/locale, and /etc/environment. If
you change those, you will probably have to restart your X session at
minimum. You can also change it for a single shell session by setting
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8.

dpkg-reconfigure locales should also ask you which locale you want
to set as a system-wide default.

Hugo.

  --- I'll take your bet, but make it ten thousand francs. I'm only ---
                       a _poor_ corrupt official.