Re: [Hampshire] Perl warning

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Perl warning
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 at 11:56:59AM +0100, john lewis wrote:
> Why do I need to have a US locale on my system?
>
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed
> Per: warning: Please check your locale settings:
>     LANGUAGE = (unset),
>     LC_ALL = (unset),
>     Lang = "en_US.UTF-8"
> are supported and installed on your system
> perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C")

What this means is that Perl is trying to honour your locale settings,
but something was set but not everything so it has no option but to
fall back to the default of C.

You have something set "Lang" in your case, but not the rest LANGUAGE
or LC_ALL so Per complains. The problem is not in Perl, rather your
locale codes are out of kilter and they need setting back.

My old Sarge box has:

POSIX *SET*
en_GB
en_GB.iso88591

a more modern Etch box has:

en_GB
en_GB.iso88591
en_GB.iso885915
en_GB.utf8    *SET*
POSIX

They both have the default 'C' and the standard 'POSIX'. In both boxes
I'm running en_GB, the older one has only the ISO-8859-1 data, the newer
one has ISO-8859-1, ISO-8859-15 (Euro version) and UTF-8 version.

You can export LC_ALL=something into your environment to control the current
value, or as Hugo suggests dpkg-reconfigure your system permenantly.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Do not assume the other fellow has intelligence to match yours.
He may have more.
    -- Terry Thomas