Re: [Hampshire] Perl warning

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Perl warning
On Tue, Oct 16 at 11:56, john lewis wrote:
> Why do I need to have a US locale on my system?

You don't but it does help with some dumb binary packages.

> perl: warning: Setting locale failed
> Per: warning: Please check your locale settings:
>     LANGUAGE = (unset),
>     LC_ALL = (unset),
>     Lang = "en_US.UTF-8"
> are supported and installed on your system
> perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C")

> I live and work in the UK and have no intention whatsoever of going
> to the USA and so removed all locales except en_GB.UTF-8 , so why
> doesn't perl accept this.

Uhm how did you "remove" the locales ? Locales can be quite distributed
over the system.

A quick search for directories on my system suggest you should
check:
    /usr/share/i18n/locales/
    /usr/share/locale/
    /usr/lib/locale/

As a mininum plus numerous package specific locations. Then you'll
need to track down all the package config file references although
a setting in your .profile should catch override most of them. Mine
contains:

# I prefer the old C lexical ordering so capitalised filenames come first.
# Also like my file times with a 3 char month rather than numeric
# export LC_ALL=C
export LC_COLLATE=C
export LC_TIME=C
export LANG=en_GB
export LANGUAGE=en_GB

Of course on gentoo you just set /etc/locale.gen before you build :-)
Mine contains:
en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
en_GB ISO-8859-1
en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8

Hope this prompts some ideas.

ps.  Whilst checking a few locations for this mail I spotted that I
  had a Ukrainian spelling dictionary installed (-uk).  I deleted that
  whilst I was at it.
--
        Bob Dunlop