Re: [Hampshire] Perl warning

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Perl warning
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:01:57 +0100
Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 02:29:27PM +0100, John Lewis wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 12:05:20 +0100
> > Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:
> > >    dpkg-reconfigure locales should also ask you which locale you
> > > want to set as a system-wide default.

> > It did and I told it to use en_GB.utf-8 (I had used
> > dpkg-reconfigure
>
> .utf-8 or .UTF-8?
>
> > locales to remove all the European countries included by default
> > during installation)
>
>    Next thing to do, then, is run "locale" and see what that comes
> up with. I have:

> hrm@varney:/var/www/carfax.org.uk$ locale
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
> [lots more...]
>
>    You may have to restart X, or even reboot, to get it to pick up
> the new settings permanently system-wide. If you don't want to do
> that for now, you can hack things around in
> your .profile, .bash_profile or .bashrc, but I wouldn't recommend
> that as a permanent solution.

I got much the same on my main system as the above on running locale.

It was the laptop I was having trouble with as I am still tweaking
the setup to get it as I like it, like replacing the KDE desktop with
wmaker :-)

Why did I install KDE some of you may well ask? Well it came with
Sidux (as sid based distro) which I used rather than installing etch
then 'aptitude upgrading' to sid via lenny, (etch straight to
sid is too big a step I've found in the past).

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package