Re: [Hampshire] Backup strategies

Author: Jim Kissel
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Backup strategies

Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'll keep this as short as possible - I've written this message 3 times
> and each time it's turned into a story...
>
> What's the best way (hardware solution) of backing up 300+Gb of data?
> I can't store it off site.. Frequency of backup is about once a month.
>
> Options I've considered
> 1) DVD - even Blu-ray is only 50 odd Gb isn't it - so even max
> compression wouldn't work?
> 2) Tape - nothing approaching that much capacity.
> 3) HDD - preferably NAS but probably USB and left completely
> disconnected when not in use to avoid power spikes etc.

I use rsync and an external 400G USB drive which you should be able to
purchase for less than 100 GBP

--
People choose Microsoft Windows for their PC in the same manner
that the citizens of Soviet Russia elected the General Secretary

Jim Kissel
Open Source Migrations Limited
w: http://www.osml.eu
e: jim.kissel@???