Re: [Hampshire] Backup strategies

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Backup strategies

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hugo Mills" <hugo@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 11:36 AM

> There are such things as tape changers / tape libraries. Probably
>heading for "expensive", though. How much are you willing to spend on
>this?

I'd go to 500UKP.

The difficulty is I'd like network access if poss. I have a linkstation at
the moment which is a 250Gb NAS device in itself - it's this that I want to
backup. The linkstation has a USB port which I use to connect an 80Gb
external HDD.
The USB HDD has been working fine as a backup device but is now too small.
FWIW, I can access the USB drive through the linkstation transparently as
the linkstation sets it up as a Windows share which I can get at through
Windows and Linux. It's here that the complication starts.

The linkstation insisted on formatting the UDB HDD in its own way. I've
discovered this is ext3 when I disconnected it from the linkstation and
connected it directly to an Ubuntu box. So no problem you'd think - just
get a 300Gb USB HDD and if the linkstation fails, I can get at all my
backups via Ubuntu. Windows, FWIW, won't recognise it - not sure why and
not sure how to get around this.

The problem is, I'd _like_ (it's not essential just preference) the security
that comes with knowing my backup can be plugged straight into a Windows PC
i.e. that I can be up and writing uni assignments again 5 minutes after a
crash of the linkstation. The other option means transferring the files
from Ubuntu to the Windows machine which either means copying from USB to
Ubuntu and then to Windows or setting up shares. I can do this - but it's
not as quick as plug and play.

Cheers
Rob