Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Ipods (vaguely Linux I suppose)

Author: Alan Blanchflower
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Ipods (vaguely Linux I suppose)
On Tuesday 13 November 2007 21:34:42 Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Just having a chat with my brother (an ardent Mac fan) today - he mentioned
> that a given Ipod can only be registered with one computer. It's some
> sort of device to prevent copyright infringement - fair enough I guess.
>
> The thing is though... I thought Ipods were like any other sort of mp3
> player in as much as you plug 'em in and it's as though you have an
> external hard drive which you can drag and drop files to

Unfortunately, Apple decided not to work that way, ipods have a special
database that needs to be updated to play back music. Most modern Linux media
players can read and write to this database, so you can manage your music
through them.

If, however, you use KDE, the ipod:/ kio-slave allows you to drag and drop
files to the device, as long as you remember to click the update button
before ejecting the ipod.

Alan.