Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Ipods (vaguely Linux I suppose)

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Ipods (vaguely Linux I suppose)
> Just having a chat with my brother (an ardent Mac fan) today - he
> mentioned
> that a given Ipod can only be registered with one computer.

I don't know about "registered". But they can be *used* with more than one
computer. I don't like "registration" - smacks of spyware...

> The thing is though... I thought Ipods were like any other sort of mp3
> player in as much as you plug 'em in and it's as though you have an
> external
> hard drive which you can drag and drop files to (irrespective of OS or
> whatever music library software you use) - so I couldn't really see how it
> could "pair itself" to one PC.

No, it isn't. iPods don't use file-structured setups, they have a database
system to hold everything. Luckily for you, that's a fairly well-known
system now.

> Am I wrong here?

Yep. 'Fraid so.

> Out of interest, anyone had any success syncing Ipods
> to Linux boxes?

Yes. My missus has a 5th-gen iPod (the video one), which works just fine
with gtkpod - better, in fact than it does with the Windows software
supplied with it (which keeps deleting all the video on the unit).

One proviso I should put in here is that all the content has been
generated locally - not bought. So I don't know how well gtkpod et al deal
with Apple's proprietary DRM (if at all). I don't do DRM...

Vic.