Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Ipods (vaguely Linux I suppose)

Author: Will Davies
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Ipods (vaguely Linux I suppose)
Rob Malpass wrote:

> The thing is though... I thought Ipods were like any other sort of mp3
> player in as much as you plug 'em in and it's as though you have an
> external hard drive which you can drag and drop files to (irrespective
> of OS or whatever music library software you use) - so I couldn't
> really see how it could "pair itself" to one PC.

You could just ignore the apple software and install the open source
player rockbox [1] on the ipod. This will make the music directory
arrangement work in the same way as other mp3 players. Its not as
sparkley as the apple software but you can hack it if you feel inclined.
I've done this successfully with a 4G, the most recent ipods aren't
supported yet.

[1] http://www.rockbox.org/

--
Will Davies