Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Re: Hampshire] 3rd mouse button in Gnome

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Re: Hampshire] 3rd mouse button in Gnome
On 13/12/2007, Keith Edmunds <kae@???> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 00:51:06 +0000, victor@??? said:
>
> > am I the only one who gets hacked off with apps in the
> > current distros that do not respect the X conventions of copy&paste?
>
> There are multiple clipboards in X. Conventionally, ^X/^C/^V handle
> one, and select + middle button paste hanlde a completely separate one.
> There should be no X applications that don't respect the latter because it
> is implemented by X itself rather than the applications.
>
> What applications do you have in mind that don't respect that?

Erm. This is slightly embarrassing ... I now can't track down and
reproduce the particular combination(s) of apps that don't work
together, although I'm certain I have come across them and been highly
annoyed at the time. I had a feeling that OpenOffice was a culprit but
just checked and no, it's well behaved. I will have to get back to you
on this one.