Re: [Hampshire] Samba for newbies

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samba for newbies
Alastair Biggs wrote:

> Yesterday I ensured the XP workgroup was the same as the server's and I created a test user account to access samba.
>
> In XP when I click on view workgroup computers I can see my server " DRAGONNINJA" when I click on it a login prompt appears telling me to enter my credentials. So I entered the credentials ( Samba user account ) but nothing happens.
>
> I will have to double check my config files and post them up for feedback.
>
> But I have just had a thought could windows firewall possibly be stopping me from accessing my Debian box? if so what port number do I have to forward.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Alastair

Normally Windows allows Samba through if the server is on the same
subnet, which is probably true in your case.

Check that your samba user has the correct permissions on the actual
*nix directories themselves. Check with ls -l on the directory shared
by Samba.

One gotcha I found is that you may need to reboot Windows after changing
the samba password on the server. A bit weird but I never bothered to
trace the source of the problem.

Simon