Re: [Hampshire] Asterisk card recomendations

Author: Alan Bell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List, Alan Lord
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Asterisk card recomendations
There isn't a UK supplier at the moment (as far as I can tell), but I am
contemplating being a UK supplier and getting a CE mark for them (which
is actually not as hard as it sounds). Asterisk consultancy is one of
the things we want to provide through The Open Learning Centre, and
having a hardware box is a lot easier to market than a service, we would
probably not make much on the boxes, we are interested in the services
that could go along with it. My business partner Alan Lord has a
background in telephony and he gets quite excited about these devices.
The Oslec echo canceler is fantastic and the guy who wrote it, David
Rowe, is the guy behind this device. You should look at oslec
http://www.rowetel.com/ucasterisk/oslec.html whatever hardware you use,
it just deals with all echo and made a crappy £10 voice card sound
perfect. I think these make quite good Asterisk servers because they are
low power, low heat, no moving parts boxes which will just carry on
working plus it is a real Linux box that you can do other interesting
stuff with, your imagination (and 400Mhz/64Mb ram /256Mb storage) is the
limit.
The IP04 with 2 FXO and 2FXS costs $450 American Dollars so in real
money that is £225 plus shipping plus VAT plus any import duty etc. I
have no idea what we could get them for as a distributor. If there are a
bunch of folk who would be interested in one (or several) of these at a
price somewhere between £200 - £300 then I might bump this little
project up the todo list a bit.

Alan Bell

--
Alan Bell
The Open Learning Centre

Web: www.theopenlearningcentre.com
Mob: +44 (0)7736 778908
Tel: +44 (0)8444 849388

The Open Learning Centre is a trading name of Bell Lord Ltd,
a company registered in England and Wales #05868943.
VAT Registration #GB 901 4715 55