Re: [Hampshire] Samsung CLP-300N Colour Laser Printer

Author: Chris Sykes
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samsung CLP-300N Colour Laser Printer
Andy Random wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anybody have any experience or opinions on this beastie:
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120362
>
> It's a colour laser printer with a network interface for 120UKP which
> seems like a great deal to me...
>
> Am I just out of touch with printer prices or is there a catch?

I have a samsung clp500 (given to me for free). I would not recommend
samsung printers to anyone wanting Linux support. The open-source splix
project is getting there (unfortunately not available in debian etch),
but I experienced frequent cups backend crashes when using them.
Samsung do release some closed source Linux/CUPS drivers, but I didn't
have much luck getting these installed & working correctly.

The catches (at least for the CLP-500) are:
  * The toner cartridges that come with the printer are only 1/2 full (a
    common practice I believe).
  * Replacement cartridges cost the same as the original printer £80 x 4
    for the CLP500.
  * The last point wouldn't be so bad if you couldn't see how much toner
    the printer was wasting.  Samsung have fitted a large disposable
    waste toner bin that rapidy fills up.  There's an optical sensor that
    checks a window through the bin and decides when the bin is full
    (actually when the window is dirty) and prompts you to replace the
    bin - £10, and a large lump of plastic sent to landfill (which is why
    I try to re-use mine by emptying and cleaning the window).
  * It takes about 5 mins of clunking & whirring to warm up and get the
    first page out - if you're lucky and the waste bin is not "full" or
    the printer has decided that is has an "invalid imaging unit".

That said, I seem to have a miserable time with all printers. Least
troublesome seems to be my HP Officejet 6210 MFP. I'm now considering
a nice economical B/W laser - probably another HP.

If you go for one, I hope you have a better time than we've had :-)

Chris.