Re: [Hampshire] Samsung CLP-300N Colour Laser Printer

Author: Richard Brown
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samsung CLP-300N Colour Laser Printer
On Feb 9, 2008 8:44 AM, Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anybody have any experience or opinions on this beastie:
>
>    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120362

> It's a colour laser printer with a network interface for 120UKP which
> seems like a great deal to me...
>
> Am I just out of touch with printer prices or is there a catch?

As chris said, it's coming with tiny toners in it

Black Toner Cartridge     2,000 A4/Letter pages at 5% Coverage *
Yellow/Magenta/Cyan Toner Cartridge     1,000 A4/Letter pages at 5% Coverage *
Imaging Unit     Approx. 20,000 black pages (12,500 colour pages) *
Waste Toner Container     Approx. 5,000 black pages (1,250 colour pages) *

It probably will be worth your time adding up how much it will cost to
replace all that. As an example we bought a konica minolta 2430dl for
about the same price, it came with 4*3000 page toners. The 6000 page
CMY pack is about £250, the 6000 page black is £60 or £70, and the
drum or transfer roller or something (every 20000 pages or so) was
almost £100, and I think those prices were ex. vat

Linux-printing.org recommends using http://foo2qpdl.rkkda.com/ to
drive it, but the author of that package can seem a little strange, I
seem to recall he gets a real bee in his bonnet about people using
distrubtion's own versions of his package, as they can fall a little
out of date.

Generally with cheap printers, you won't get what you haven't paid for.

--
Richard Brown