Re: [Hampshire] Samsung CLP-300N Colour Laser Printer

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samsung CLP-300N Colour Laser Printer
On Saturday 09 February 2008 09:09, Chris Sykes wrote:
> I would not recommend
> samsung printers to anyone wanting Linux support.

This may indeed be true for the colour or network printers, or perhaps just of
teh CLP-500, of which I have no experience. But it is certainly not true
of "samsung printers" in general.

I have a Samsung ML-1510 Which Just Works/has Just Worked on any Distro I have
thrown at it. I have never used the supplied proprietary driver because the
CUPS one is so great, and it will also run fine on the CUPS drivers for older
models if I try to run it with an old distro.

I have also installed other (and more recent) b/w Samsung printers on various
Distros for other people. Every time they Just Worked.

As a result of my positive experiences, I was thinking of getting a CLP-300N.
So if you get one, Andy, I would be interested in how you find it and how
Linux-friendly it turned out to be.

Lisi