Re: [Hampshire] "Can't live without..."

Author: Mark Johnson
To: Alan Pope, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] "Can't live without..."

> So this made me think "Friday mailing list thread!". What FLOSS
> application
> or technology gives you the fuzzies, or makes your life significantly
> better
> in some way?

APT, especially when backed by the massive Ubuntu repositories.
People talk about needing to sort out package management on Linux, but as
far as I'm concerned, it's already been done. IMO, saying "apt-get install
whatever" and being able to download and install pretty much any piece of
OSS out there, plus plugins etc in many cases is a hell of a lot simpler
than the Google->Find website->Find download page->find latest
version->download->run install.exe I was used to on Windows. Plus the fact
that it updates every piece of software you've installed with it when a
new version is released. Magic.

Mark