Re: [Hampshire] "Can't live without..."

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Alan Pope
CC: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] "Can't live without..."

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x573de100.hantslug.org.uk.5663': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Mar 7 13:26:42 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Friday 07 Mar 2008, Alan Pope wrote:
> There are some FLOSS products that just make me go all warm and tingly
> inside when I think about them. Software and technology that - if it didn't
> exist - my life would be poorer/harder/more annoying.
>
> Today the technology giving my the fuzzies is "ssh port forwarding".
>
> So this made me think "Friday mailing list thread!". What FLOSS application
> or technology gives you the fuzzies, or makes your life significantly
> better in some way?

This I need:

OpenSSH with all it's features, life without it would be a lot harder and a
lot less secure.

GNU Screen, used with OpenSSH makes a lot of things very much easier.

POSIX shell + Unix tool chain, e.g. Bash+GNU Tool chain. It does an awful of
things and can be used to glue other things together quickly and easily.

Perl, because...

I use OpenSSH to reach my boxes and to forward all sorts of stuff in all
directions. I then tend to run screen so I can do more at once. I mostly work
from the shell because I've mostly got use to it now. Finally my perferred
programming language is Perl, which is what I mostly need the other tools
for.

Thankfull what I want is standard on most GNU/Linux systems, on legacy Unix
systems they may need adding. Windows just needs Linux (or Cygwin at a pinch)
installing on top of it to make it useful for anything other than a games
platform or malware host.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

"We must get users past their misunderstandings of uptime. A reboot
doesn't mean that anything broke, there is no hardware or software
corrective action taken, so there wasn't any real downtime."
-- overheard in an MS strategy meeting