[Hampshire] Downloading MP4s from the BBC iPlayer

Top Page
Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hants LUG
Subject: [Hampshire] Downloading MP4s from the BBC iPlayer

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x586a1100.hantslug.org.uk.14651': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Mar 11 12:45:46 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
Hi,

Anyone who would like to download video files from the BBC with
needing a Windows box, there is an easy way to get an MP4 file
directly from the BBC iPlayer site.

Basically you change your user-agent in your browser to that of
the Apple iPhone, then you can use UnPlug or view source to find
the MP4 file, and you can save the video directly to you box with
the browser or wget.

The MP4 file should play with most media players, xine and mplayer
on my box were quite happy to play the video file. A 30 minute tv
show is about 110Mb as MP4 when downloaded. No DRM and no messing
about with flash required.

See:
http://exploringfreedom.org/2008/03/08/bbc-iplayer-on-gnu-linux-without-flash-using-only-free-software/

for details.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Yes, I'm bitter and cynical. That does not make me wrong.
    -- anon