Re: [Hampshire] Downloading MP4s from the BBC iPlayer

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Dave Walker
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Downloading MP4s from the BBC iPlayer

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57889100.hantslug.org.uk.14209': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Mar 11 18:52:16 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Tuesday 11 Mar 2008, Dave Walker wrote:
> Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anyone who would like to download video files from the BBC with
> > needing a Windows box, there is an easy way to get an MP4 file
> > directly from the BBC iPlayer site.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> > See:
> > http://exploringfreedom.org/2008/03/08/bbc-iplayer-on-gnu-linux-without-f
> >lash-using-only-free-software/
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Hi Adam,
>
> I have done this, and can confirm it's working well. If using FF3, I
> found the "User Agent" addon won't install without some modification.
>
> What I really want to know, where is the perl script you have surely
> written to automate this? ;)

This is true, WWW::Mechanise should be all you need to do most of the work.

Fundamentally it's really sloppy of the BBC to be user-agent sniffing, but
very convenient.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

The animals are not as stupid as one thinks - they have neither
doctors nor lawyers.
    -- L Doquier