Re: [Hampshire] USB Bluetooth adapter

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] USB Bluetooth adapter
2008/9/30 Paul Tansom <paul@???>:
> Can anyone recommend a Linux compatible USB Bluetooth 2 adapter? I'm
> looking to connect up my Bluetooth headset to use with my VOIP and Skype
> accounts, but haven't had a huge amount of success narrowing down the
> field. There is information via Google, but I've not yet found a decent
> list - they always seem to be bundled in the middle of a generic network
> adapter list, or referenced within another forum post. Even the BlueZ
> site doesn't seem to have a list of compatible devises :(
>
> The next stage will be to get it working with SyncML, but it's early days
> as I've not yet picked up the phone, so until tomorrow I'm still in the
> dark ages mobile phone wise - no Bluetooth and not even the infra read I
> had on my old Nokia 7110. Actually I'd be seriously tempted to go back
> to a 7110 if it had Bluetooth as the address book management on the
> phone is still more advanced than even my new phone will be and the
> others I've looked at [1], even nearly 10 years on!!
>
> [1] actually this sort of detail is well nigh impossible to drag out of
> any sales staff, and every time I asked for a decent quality address
> book they brought out a PDA style phone costing an arm and a leg.

Tell me about it! That's why I still use a second hand Treo 650 - the
Palm OS has its faults, but as an open standard with proper
development tools at least it allows developers to provide
alternatives to the bundled software. When O when will they release a
similarly open Linux platform for a simple pda/phone? It keeps being
'just over the horizon'....

Oops - turned into a rant, sorry!

Peter