[Hampshire] [Hardware] Memory compatibility

Author: Samuel Penn
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] [Hardware] Memory compatibility

Hi all,

I've just tried adding some extra memory to a server[1] of mine, only
to have it completely hang when powered on (no video or sound output
of any sort, so this is a hardware(/BIOS?) issue, not OS).

A couple of years back, I bought 2x1GB for it (upgrading from
2x512MB), buying PC2700 memory[2]. The motherboard spec
states PC2100, but I couldn't find registered memory of that
spec, and my research suggested that PC2700 should work just
fine. It did, and my server has been running just fine for the
last 2 years.

I've just purchased an extra 2x1GB for it (it has 4 slots, and
supports up to 4GB), buying identical memory. I stick the extra
memory in, and it all fails as above. Swapping the memory around
shows that any 2GB works, but sticking in 3 or 4 DIMMs causes
failure.

Talking to Tyan support[2], they state that it doesn't support
4GB of PC2700 memory, only PC2100. Does this actually make sense
to anyone? I would expect that the memory will only be run as
fast as the motherboard will support, and if 2GB works, then the
4GB should work as well. Of course, my knowledge of hardware is
limited, so it may be Tyan support is talking complete sense
and I should just give up trying to get it to work.

Thoughts on this from anyone more knowledgeable than I?

[1] A 2xCPU 32bit AMD box from DNUK, purchased in 2002.
[2] http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT12872Y335
[3] The motherboard is S2466 Tiger MPX, spec apparently at:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_6291_4886^4366,00.html

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???