Re: [Hampshire] Home ISPs - who's good, who's bad, who's ind…

Author: Russell Gadd
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Home ISPs - who's good, who's bad, who's indifferent.
2009/2/10 Bond, Peter <PBond@???>

> As I finally need an ISP again, I thought I'd ask here.
>

> My hard requirements are pretty simple – I'd like at least 4Mbps
> ADSL(2,2+?) to a BT line (I know, line length depending), 1 static IP
> address, no silly bandwidth caps (as opposed to reasonable caps – perhaps
> 10-20GB/month given my habit of pulling down distro ISOs) and a max of 6
> months contract. Decent service/support in the event it becomes necessary
> would be good too – preferably not run by people who will feel the need to
> tell me where the Start button is in Windows.
>

> So – who is good, and who is cheap? Are any both?

If you are in their LLU area then Newnet is both. Service from Fareham in
the UK is excellent. Performance very good. Pricing ok for standard 8Meg
service and very good for their 24Meg LLU service. My experience with them
was very good, no traffic shaping, etc. very good uptime.

Unfortunately I am not in one of their LLU enabled exchanges and I moved to
Bethere (now owned by O2) in November to get their 24Meg service at £17.50
per month unlimited bandwidth, no traffic shaping. Not sure what their
support is like, not had to use it. Suspect done in India, but forums don't
complain about this too much. Packages offered by Bethere are slightly
different to the O2 packages so you should look at both for pricing options.

I used samknows.com availability checker which can list all the LLU
companies in my local exchange. Also shows where your postcode is located in
relation to the exchange.

Russell