Re: [Hampshire] Home ISPs - who's good, who's bad, who's ind…

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Home ISPs - who's good, who's bad, who's indifferent.
Bond, Peter wrote:

> As I finally need an ISP again, I thought I’d ask here.
>

> My hard requirements are pretty simple – I’d like at least 4Mbps
> ADSL(2,2+?) to a BT line (I know, line length depending), 1 static IP
> address, no silly bandwidth caps (as opposed to reasonable caps –
> perhaps 10-20GB/month given my habit of pulling down distro ISOs) and
> a max of 6 months contract. Decent service/support in the event it
> becomes necessary would be good too – preferably not run by people who
> will feel the need to tell me where the Start button is in Windows.
>

> So – who is good, and who is cheap? Are any both?
>

> (Zen I’ve just seen mentioned)

As a wise friend of mine said of equipment in general: Good, Fast, Cheap
- Pick any two :)

I'm with IDNet ( http://www.idnet.net ) and I can't recommend them
highly enough. I'm on their Home Supermax package and I get the
following for £35 inc VAT a month:

    * Up to 8MB down / 832kbps up.
    * No blocked ports.
    * No throttling.
    * 60GB monthly download limit (30GB 9am-midnight, 30GB
      midnight-9am). No upload limit.
    * RSS usage checker and email alerts if it looks like you're going
      to go over.
    * Overs charged at £1 per GB.
    * BT ADSL2 (will upgrade to 2+ when your exchange goes to 21CN).
    * No contention once my connection reaches their network.
    * 1 Static address.
    * Connection registered with BT as business ADSL (lower contention
      plus faster fault resolution).
    * Business traffic priority if your exchange becomes congested.
    * Real customer service with calls answered by real engineers.
    * Free migration in and out.
    * 1 month minimum commitment - You can leave at any time.
    * SMTP server that supports SMTP AUTH so you can send email when
      you're on other networks without changing settings.

If the package above isn't enough you can have their business max
package for £69 +vat a month which has no limits at all. You can hammer
it 24/7 and they won't even raise an eyebrow. If you don't want the 832k
up and can live with 448k, a 30GB limit and not having the priority
traffic the Home Max package is £25 inc VAT.

You can give them a go for a month, leave at the end if you don't like
them and only have paid for one month. The only thing they ask if you
want to disconnect is that when you email for your MAC that you tell
them why you want to leave.

The support forum ( http://www.idnetters.co.uk ) is open to everyone
(subscriber or not) and is full of happy campers.

Cheers,
Paul.

p.s. Damn, this sounds like hard sell. I have no connection to IDNet
other than being a happy customer.