Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping Issue

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping Issue
Vic wrote:
>> Unfortunately vinyl hardware is expensive for
>> sound that is better than cd.
>>

> Vinyl *isn't* better than CD. CD gives you much better fidelity.
>
> Vinyl sounds more familiar to those of us of a certain age - but that's
> because we're accustomed to the lack of fidelity in the medium. Even if we
> prefer it, it's not what the original performance sounded like.

A few thoughts on that, although overall I agree that at my end of the
price range the benefits in terms of quality are negligible if indeed
they are present at all.

I did a direct track-for-track comparison of British Sea Power's 'The
Decline Of British Sea Power' using the CD and vinyl album. They sounded
different, for sure, but I couldn't nail down a preference. Perhaps it's
the quality of my record deck that lets me down? I have never heard the
likes of a Linn Sondek LP12 or better, so am blissfully ignorant and
hope to remain that way until a massive windfall comes my way or they
come down in price significantly. If this tinnitus gets any worse it'll
be a moot point anyway.

Having recently come to accept surface noise as a feature of /my/ copy
of a record I prefer to spin the vinyl where I have the choice. There is
something about the mechanical, hands-on nature of it that I love too.
It must be turning that handle on the side...! :p

As for the 'certain age' comment, I suspect that is also true but it is
worth noting that my kids (aged 10, 14, 16 & 16) are all fascinated
vinyl. Ellen (16) collects certain artist's output on vinyl, despite the
current price premium on the format. I buy it mainly used from ebay, but
also new where it is available for a reasonable price, but am certainly
not opposed to buying CDs. It's encouraging to see a number of my
favourite artists releasing new material on both formats, with some
offering a download of the album or even a CD in with the vinyl.

>> This put me off doing it with a PC so i am sticking with MiniDisc
>>

> Eh? You rank ATRAC compression as better fidelity than a moderate sound card?
>
> Minidisc does many things well, but high fidelity is not amongst them[1].
>
> Vic.
>
> [1] Although it is very much better now than when I was working for a
> certain Japanese consumer electronics company.

The Japanese Victor Company perchance?

:-)

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa