Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping Issue

Author: trotter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping Issue
At 20:26 30/03/2009, you wrote:
>trotter wrote:

> >> Heh, it was all I could afford at the time - a used 'bargain' from ebay.
> >> Badly packaged, it arrived in a 'kit form' never intended by the
> >> manufacturers, and a combination of postal insurance and a partial
> >> refund made it viable once the replacement parts had been purchased.
> >> It's actually in great condition now and sounds good to my
> >> none-too-discerning ears.
> >>
> >> I recall that it nearly cost me a great deal more than money when my
> >> wife discovered I wanted to start buying vinyl again!
> >>
> >> ;-)
> >>

> > I have a projective perspective which was £600 new but i picked it
> > up for £400 on ebay. Unfortunately vinyl hardware is expensive for
> > sound that is better than cd. CD is better bang for buck unfortunately.
> >
> > I enjoy trawling car boot sales for vinyl.
> >

>Yeah, I love hitting the charity shops too, although round here its all
>Hammond organ music or oompa bands!

Yeah that's what i found i charity shop in bolton as well -car boot is
the way to go. :)

> > Then cleaning them up with disco knosti antistat fluid bath.
> >

>Will investigate that.

Its a good cheap way to clean things up.

there are better and more expensive vacuam turntables that do a better
job but they start at £400 IIRC.

> >> I was actually thinking of going from phono stage line-out to laptop
> >> audio line-in, via a cable to convert phono leads to a 3.5mm jack plug,
> >> but yes it occurs to me now that you mention it that I may be by-passing
> >> the DAC device in the phono stage by doing this.
> >>
> >> I ripped my copy of De Stijl by The White Stripes today and got an
> >> excellent result. The problem is that it is currently a lottery as to
> >> what input levels I get!
> >>

> > Unfortunately line in on sound cards are frankly abysmal quality
> > wise. In a recent PC pro magazine feature on ripping vinyl it stated that
> > you really need to buy a sound card close to £100 for anything remotely
> > decent.
> >

>Well, bearing in mind that hearing differs from person to person I am
>very happy with the results I have got so far, despite the odd bit of
>rumble from the platter and earthing noise at high volume. That said,
>I'll bear in mind your comments and stick to attempting to resolve the
>issue with the mixer settings for the time being.

If it works for you then that's fine, if you are happy so am I.
Just thought I would point it out that if you can get hold of a audio CD
recorder or MiniDisc recorder it might be a better way of doing things.

> > This put me off doing it with a PC so i am sticking with MiniDisc
> > for now. Besides its easier that way.
>
>MiniDisc should be due for /its/ revival any time now, huh?
>
>:-)
>
>Never owned one myself, just recall everyone selling them off to buy
>digital media players at work!

Got one of those as well (cowan iaudio D2 supports FLAC ) as its
my main portable device. MiniDisc is good for convenience rather
than traveling.

Martin N

Co-Moderator of MiniDisc and amithlonopen yahoo groups.