Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping Issue

Author: trotter
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping Issue
At 19:09 30/03/2009, you wrote:

> > Unfortunately vinyl hardware is expensive for
> > sound that is better than cd.
>
>Vinyl *isn't* better than CD. CD gives you much better fidelity.
>
>Vinyl sounds more familiar to those of us of a certain age - but that's
>because we're accustomed to the lack of fidelity in the medium. Even if we
>prefer it, it's not what the original performance sounded like.
>
>Of course, all that is obscured by the current vogue of trying to cook
>one's supper with the clip lights during production...
>
> > This put me off doing it with a PC so i am sticking with MiniDisc
>
>Eh? You rank ATRAC compression as better fidelity than a moderate sound card?

Fraid, so as the ATRAC compression is very good and has been refined for years
since something like 1992?

HiMD is not lossy by the way but full PCM

>Minidisc does many things well, but high fidelity is not amongst them[1].

Its not the highest fidelity I agree but its the same as CD with HiMD and
theres no other way of archiving vinyl at the moment apart from expensive
sound cards in the home (according to PC Pro anyhow).

Martin N

Co-Moderator of MiniDisc and amithlonopen yahoo groups.