[Hampshire] Playing music in my living room

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Playing music in my living room

Hi,

I'm looking for an *easy* way to play my MP3 collection through speakers
in my living room.

Right now I play stuff through my MP3 player by pluging it into my hifi,
but the hifi itself isn't great quality and it means I have to pull the
MP3 player out of the bag I take to work, plug it in, make sure the
battery is charged, remember to put it back or end up not taking music to
work the next day... all of which is faff and I'm lazy so it means I don't
listen to music at home as often as I'd like.

So what I'd like is a device with a hard disk which will store all my
music, play it through a set of speakers in my living room, has a nice
simple UI, a remote control, supports play-lists and just works.

This looks like it will do 99% of what I want:

http://www.brennan.co.uk/home/

and is a viable option but for what it is it isn't cheap (IMO).

So can someone recommend something else similar? Or another similarly
simple solution?

My current hifi is cheap and nasty and was a temporary fix when I was
short of money so I'm willing to replace it, but I'm not an audiophile,
I'm not looking to spend thousands on a stereo system that I won't
appreciate, I just want a reasonable sound quality.

Remember though that I'm *lazy* and short of free time, suggestions which
say buy this PC/headless media server and install this distro then
configure these packages just won't be useful to me. It might not be
hard to do, but if it is time consuming I just won't get around to it.

I'm looking for a purchase, plug in and have it playing music in under an
hour solution... if I can buy a media server pre-installed/configured and
all I need to do is transfer my music to it that might work but a DIY
Linux/PC solution isn't going to be for me.

Budget is no more than 400 UKP (less would be good:) for a fully working
system, though I have a serviceable pair of stereo speaks so if the
solution will connect to standard hifi speakers that price doesn't have to
include speakers.

Any suggestions?

Andy