Re: [Hampshire] The Cookie Law

Author: Martin N
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The Cookie Law
Lo,

At 11:22 25/05/2012, you wrote:
>I've seen the news articles about the new laws concerning
>cookies[1]. From what I can tell from the ICO website[1] there is no
>exemption from this law for personal or non-profit making websites.
>
>A brief check of my personal website shows 7 cookies are being set
>as a result of using Wordpress and Google Analytics. Accordingly it
>seems I should be advising users of these cookies, giving them a
>chance to consent and change their mind.
>
>So, has everyone else done this? ;)

An interesting view on this from the Net Neutrality Squad:

"Service launched to deal with EU cookie laws (+my comments)

http://j.mp/JC2NdW (Techcrunch)

    "On Saturday, May 26, the UK implements the first phase of the law, so
     website owners are scrambling to ensure they are in compliance
     (assuming they even know about it). As we've said before, we think
     it's dumb and will make it much harder on European startups."

- - -

The entire focus on cookies is utterly insane. It's also incredibly
disingenuous and hypocritical for governments to pile on essentially
useless cookie restrictions while simultaneously themselves genuinely
subverting their citizens' freedom of speech and privacy on the
Internet, via pervasive and expanding surveillance, censorship, and
government-mandated tracking and data retention regimes.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein"

Martin N

Running MorphOS v2.6 (Nov 2010) on Mac Mini, Moderator of
MiniDisc,amithlonopen,bwfc Yahoogroups

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???